Is This The Perfect EDC Flashlight?
Posted on November 05 2018
The EDC Flashlight. Everyone needs one, it’s an essential tool for day to day life. From hunting for lost toys to locating car keys, a good flashlight is worth its weight in gold. Taking the time to select a quality light makes a huge difference. Olight proves this point with the S1R Baton II, packed with more power/features than most full-size brands.
The S1R weights in at less than 2 ounces and only 2.6 inches in length, making it perfect for everyday carry (EDC). Apart from the compact size and lightweight, the light combines attractive design with a max output of 1000 LUMENS. That’s impressive for a light of size, but not surprising if you know the quality that Olight puts on the market.
Attention to detail has always set Olight apart from the competition and this light is no exception. Admittedly I did have initial reservations based on the small size. I was unsure of how it would fit in my hands considering the tiny size. Thanks to the aggressive knurling, fit and grip is not an issue. The operation is simple and straightforward even for a novice user. Depending on your needs, the S1R can switch between 6 different modes from Moonlight (.5 lumens) to Turbo mode which is 1000 lumens. Lighting modes are activated by single or multiple clicks on the switch.
In regards to carry, the dual-direction clip conceals the light deep in the pocket and enables bezel up or down carry. If you prefer, the light can be attached to a hat brim for hands-free use.
When it comes to charging the light, it’s also simple, yet technologically advanced. Simply “slap” the magnetic cable onto the tail cap and plug in via USB. Unlike like other lights, the S1R actually informs you of charge status by a red or green indicator in the middle of the power button. Yet another attention to detail that makes me love Olight products.
- Body Material: Black Aluminium
- Clip Material: Stainless Steel
- LED: XM-L2
- LED Specification: 70CRI 6500K
- Battery Format: 1 x 16340/RCR123A or 1 x CR123a ONLY
- Output & Runtime (with included Olight IMR 16340 3.7V/550mAh battery):
- Moonlight (0.5 lumens / 8days)
- Low (12 lumens / 20h)
- Mid (60 lumens / 3h 40min)
- High (600 lumens / 1min 30sec) -> (300 lumens / 45min)
- Turbo (1000 lumens / 1min 30sec) -> (300 lumens / 37min)
- Max Beam Distance: 145m
- Beam intensity: 5,250cd
- Waterproofness: IPX-8 Standard (2m)
- Impact Resistance: 1.5m
- Dimension: 63mm (length) x 21mm (diameter)
- Weight: 51g (including batteries)
- Battery reverse polarity protection
- Accessories Included:
- 1*Olight IMR 16340 3.7V/550mAh battery (Olight ORB-16C05-10C)
- 1*Magnetic Charging Cable (MCC II)
- 1*Battery Box
- MSRP: ~$65
The S1R takes EDC flashlights to the next level. A combination of six lighting modes, small size, big power, and easy charging make this light my current favorite. An added bonus is the waterproof case and ability to withstand a hard fall from 1.5M. Included in my purchase was a battery box, a soft suede pouch, and charging cable.